Monday, October 29, 2007

Consumerism

After something that Chad said the other day, I’ve been thinking.  I have a pretty Non-Buddhist lifestyle for someone who claims “that Buddhism makes the most sense to me.”  I will explain.

For someone that “hates” consumerism, I am a huge consumer.  I am very materialistic.  Want want want, buy buy buy.  Luckily I am broke, otherwise I could see it being a lot worse.  This does not stop me from obsessing over gizmos and gadgets.  I fear that this is a slippery slope that I need to put an end to ASAP.  I have seen where it can lead, and I don’t like it.  I came across this article today that I found helpful, and on point.  It even quotes Dharma Bums.

http://www.zenhousewife.com/2007/10/zen-and-art-of-mindful-consumerism.html

This lead me to this article which I also found helpful.

http://fatknowledge.blogspot.com/2007/10/buddhist-economics.html

3 comments:

Amy said...

i <3 u!!!

He who knows Nothing said...

Check out:
A Buddhist Bible by Dwight Goddard for some good readin'.

He who knows Nothing said...

It has nothing to due with consumerism though